[OSM-dev] Advice sought on polygon-with-hole drawing

Andy Robinson (blackadder) blackadderajr at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 17 14:28:21 GMT 2008

Andy Allan wrote:
>Sent: 17 March 2008 12:33 PM
>To: Robert (Jamie) Munro
>Cc: dev
>Subject: Re: [OSM-dev] Advice sought on polygon-with-hole drawing
>
>On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 10:43 AM, Robert (Jamie) Munro
><rjmunro at arjam.net> wrote:
>
>>  Yes. That is what I am saying. 1 simple rule:
>>
>>  *All* areas should be colour on the right (i.e. clockwise)
>
>No chance. This is a completely terrible idea. It makes it harder for
>newbies, who have to know to check and change the "direction" of the
>ways of an area, which is an entirely pointless process from their
>point of view and will probably make no sense to them.
>
>Direction is important for one-way roads but shoudn't be for areas.
>Coastline is an understandable exception.

And even that's easy for a user to swap around without realising the affect.
In reality though, since it's a wiki, when an error is spotted it gets
corrected, so we could take the same view with areas, if it renders the
wrong way around its going to get fixed pretty quickly. A new user is
probably going to find it a lot easier to understand that an area has to
point in the clockwise direction than to have to add some complicated
tagging to non closing areas to render properly, so for this approach I
don't feel its too much to ask. For closed areas then it will always be
possible to overrule if the rendering engine so decides.

Cheers

Andy