[OSM-dev] Mobile binary protocol

Anton Patiev apatiev at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 13:12:04 GMT 2008

Hi, Frederik

> If you do not need to issue write requests to the server, then it would
> unnecessarily clog the one big bottleneck we have (the central server).
> If you can manage to download stuff from elsewhere (even if that
> elsewhere is a copy that's kept up to date through the hourly diffs),
> that's a huge relief for the central server, at very little cost for you
> (you get hour-old data instead of current - who cares).
>
> Of course if you want to update the database then you need to use the
> central server.

Mobile binary protocol, as described on
wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/OSM_Mobile_Binary_Protocol, doesn't
implies database update (at least, for now). So you are right - to
reduce central server load we should get a mirror. But i don't have
dedicated server for this task :(

Best regards,
Anton Patiev