[OSM-dev] [OSM-newbies] URL for mobile binary protocol

Jason Dent jason at streetsidesoftware.nl
Wed Mar 19 19:35:22 GMT 2008

I have a mobile map application.  I have found that directly accessing the
tile server works the best.  Trying to draw all the map details at runtime
on a PDA is a bit much.  It can be done, but pre-cooked tile are much
better.

The main use I would have for the mobile API would be for place name lookup
and a routing network.  At the moment neither of those exist in a usable
form.

On the note of mobile applications.  I think it would be useful to create a
DB of cellID's.  CellID's could be collected from PDA phones with a GPS
attached.  With the CellId, someone without a GPS could get their
approximate location on the map.

It is a bit like doing tracks.  For each CellId there will be many lan/lon
recorded values.  It doesn't make much sense to dirty the normal database
with these.  Instead they would need to be processed and turned into a
single point or maybe even an area.

Cheers,
Jason