[OSM-dev] [Fwd: Project idea for openstreetmap in Google SOC 2008]

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Mar 20 12:56:16 GMT 2008

Hi,

    I haven't fully understood the proposal but the author writes:

> Problem:

[...]

> Moreover static map in a mobile device will be far costly.

With OpenStreetMap, the only thing that is costly about a static map
in the mobile device is the storage space. So it sounds to me that
this idea is trying to "work around" the non-existence of free maps;
since our aim is providing free maps, the idea sounds a bit
incompatible to OSM, or at least unnecessary?

Bye
Frederik