[OSM-dev] [OSM-newbies] URL for mobile binary protocol

Milo van der Linden mlinden at zeelandnet.nl
Thu Mar 20 13:39:33 GMT 2008

I know that Rob (Rubke) wrote a tool that is called OSMtiledownloader.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/OSMtiledownloader
It allows you to download tiles to the desktop given a certain directory
structure. This directory can then be copied to a mobile device and used
in conjunction with OSMTracker
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Osmtracker

This solves the issue of complex rendering, and give you a base set of
tiles. OSMtracker also has a live tile download function, but it is not
the fastest around yet.

So I disagree that you would need a mini mapnik on your mobile. I think
it might be good to build a standard API to handle rendering tiles based
upon a certain directory structure and a download API for getting tiles
into your phone via GPRS. The both combined will probably require less
processing power then setting up a mapnik server on the phone.