[OSM-dev] [OSM-newbies] URL for mobile binary protocol

Anton Patiev apatiev at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 14:01:51 GMT 2008

Hi!

I think that will be improper to limit mobile devices only to a mobile
phones or PDA's. There are new classes of devices, such as, for
example, MID's (mobile internet devices -
http://www.intel.com/products/mid/), or Car PC's. In comparision with
mobile phones they have more computational power or storage capacity.

However, in my opinion, there should be different methods of access to
the map data - for the different requirements. To provide routing on
mobile device you need either vector data or server that computes
routing for you.

Best regards,
Anton Patiev

Jason Dent wrote:
| I have a
> mobile map application. I have found that directly accessing the
| tile
> server works the best.

The downloads are HUGE! Some people have to pay per
> kB for mobile
downloads. Also, you can't rotate and reproject the tiles, or
> give a
sat-nav type 3d view, without horribly distorting the text. If you
> want
to highlight a road or a point, you have to download the map details
> anyway.

| Trying to draw all the map details at runtime
| on a PDA is a bit
> much. It can be done, but pre-cooked tile are much
| better.

It's not "a
> bit much". *All* commercial sat-navs do it. When you
consider how much more
> CPU power a modern PDA has than a PC of 15 years
ago, and think about the
> kind of thing those PCs did (Doom, for example)
drawing a map is easy.

> I agree that technically redering tiles on the mobile probably would be
the
> best solution, certainly in terms of data traffic.
However, to get nice
> looking tiles, you'd have to implement something
like mapnik, on your
> device. I know it already took us quite some work
to implement a nice map
> with scrolling tiles in J2ME. I'm sure building
that with vectors, which
> scale with zoomlevels, and look nice, would
take months, if not years, of
> development time. Thats why we choose to
use tiles.
I do want to look into
> more efficient ways of getting tiles, or parts of
them, to the mobile.
Kind
> Regards,
Martijn