[OSM-dev] [OSM] Informations about osmarender for Google SoC

Mario fadinlight at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 12:06:03 GMT 2008

Hi all again! :)

As Sebastian told me, I'm writing in the dev list (for 80n to reply ;))
for more informations about Osmarender.

Before I can deeply and technically explore what can I do, I wish to ask
you some general questions.

It's not very clear to me what "osmarender frontend" should be directed to:

1) Should it be:
a) A dedicated Java application?
b) A dedicated (AJAX?) webapp frontend?
c) A JOSM's plugin improvement
(http://svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/editors/josm/dist/osmarender.jar)?
d) An Osmabrowser improvement
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Osmabrowser)?
e)... Something else... :)

2) Should it be somewhat integrated with Clopin?

3) If it should be integrated in JOSM could/should/would we use Batik
for SVG preview in JASM itself? I've read that there could be some
problem with it
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Osmarender/Howto#Batik)... but
a real-time preview in the frontend could be really cool :)

4) And obviously I'm asking if you have got already some ideas about
what the frontend should do or should look like. I've already some
ideas, but I can focus them only when I'll explore more techies about
osmarender.

Thank you very much for your replies. :)

Mario