[OSM-dev] [OSM] Informations about osmarender for Google SoC

Mario fadinlight at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 16:24:48 GMT 2008

Wow, the discussion is getting more and more interesting :)

I'll reply to you all at once, cause the replies would be tangled.

The little brainstorming I've done is not intended to be for this
summer. I've written those guidelines to clarify my ideas on the
application: for example, I could develop the core of the project (ie an
API to handle the rules file) and write down some GUI ideas. But I think
it's useful to know "where do we want to go tomorrow" (eheh ;)) to
better design the core and/or the GUI skeleton and to know how much it
would get. :)

I think, just to start, that it's reasonable to achieve these goals:

1) The core which handles rules file
2) Some work to define the general usability of the final interface
3) Get to work some GUI skeleton, which could have, for example, only a
textarea to edit any specific CSS. (I have in mind that all the GUI
should be i18n aware, or maybe not)
4) Eventually, a demo preview (or a part of it) like Frederik and 80n
have proposed.

Unfortunately, I can't help much on the discussion about how it should
be implemented (XSLT/Java/Inkscape Plugin -> Perhaps I can help in
finding a way to edit CSS styles easily in inkscape, like proposed by
80n in the last mail), but, obviously, this is very important to have a
rough idea of the time the work will get.

I can tell you the languages I'm comfortable with (Java and PHP, along
with web standards in general) and that I'm not closed on learning
Python language (in case you decide to implement it as a Inkscape
plugin). Don't forget that in this last case, if the application is
accepted by Google, we have the "Community Bonding Period", in which I
can get in touch with Python.

Bye!

Mario

P.S.: Thanks to 80n for the other info about rules file structure. The
most interesting part of the project will be to get all this interesting
and complex structure to a better usable way :)