[OSM-dev] Osmosis patch for filtering ways

Karl Newman siliconfiend at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 12:22:51 GMT 2008

Brett,

I have in the works another method to filter ways based on tag content.
Cristoph's method is straightforward and simple and can be completely
contained on the command line, which is nice. Mine is file-based because I
plan to use the same file to control how tiling works and also how routable
Garmin GPS maps are generated. With this method you could have a single rule
file which could be used for all these things--filtering to select the
elements you want, slicing an OSM file into tiles, then creating routable
maps from those tiles.

I have my work-in-progress rule file format here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/User:SiliconFiend/Ruleset
There are a few things I don't really like about it, and I'm definitely open
to suggestions. I'm thinking the filter would operate on the tests in the
<match> elements that are an immediate child of the <action> definition.

Anyway, I just wanted to make you aware of my (pending) alternate
implementation when you're looking to incorporate this patch.

Thanks,

Karl