[OSM-dev] Odd data in daily diffs (potlatch related?)

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat Mar 29 11:41:15 GMT 2008

Hi,

> In the file daily-20080326-20080327.osc.bz2 there is this relation:
>
>     <relation id="8571" timestamp="2008-03-26T22:05:03Z" user="wiesel111">
>       <tag k="ESCESC" v=""/>
>       <tag k="created_by" v="Potlatch 0.8"/>
>       <tag k="type" v=""/>
>     </relation>
>
> Those are real escapes "\x1d". Fetching via the API doesn't have them,
> the osmosis XML parser is barfing on them. Looks like some mismatch
> between the output and input of osmosis here.

Seems to be two problems in one, first: how did the key get in there
in the first place, second: why does it not get exported in a way that
Osmosis can read.

I was hoping to fix the diff by simply running "recode" on it and
instructing it to ignore invalid characters, however I was surprised
to see that recode converted the file from UTF8 ut UTF16 without
complaint (and back again to give an identical file). - Would running
one of the many existing "UTF8 sanitizers" have resolved the problem?

Bye
Frederik