[OSM-dev] Odd data in daily diffs (potlatch related?)

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 31 23:53:46 BST 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 16:29 +0200, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 12:26 PM, Brett Henderson <brett at bretth.com> wrote:
> >  Anyway, yell if anybody violently disagrees and thinks there is a bug
> >  that needs fixing in osmosis.
>
> While I agree in general, osmoss does currently make the assumption
> that any character that appears in a string in the database is
> automatically valid XML. I would have expected the XML output creater
> to have escaped it to  at least.

That does not work, the character is invalid even when encoded as an
entity:

$ xmllint -noout tmp.osm
tmp.osm:4: parser error : xmlParseCharRef: invalid xmlChar value 27
    <tag k="type" v=""/>
                          ^

> However, if we determine that we don't want characters < 32 in the
> database then there's no problem. I assume XML accepts newlines inside
> attributes OK;

Yes, my tests show that newlines inside attributes are accepted fine by
libxml2 (but will break simple parsers which expect everything to be on
a single line).

> I can imagine a case being made for then at some point.

I can see people wanting to add notes with newlines already.

	Jon