[OSM-dev] The future of Potlatch

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Fri May 2 09:50:42 BST 2008

In message <d0e910d7e2ae90d850f5587d7d5ef282 at systemeD.net>
        Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:

> For most purposes AS3 probably is a better language - except for the
> fairly major proviso there's no open-source player even in development.

As far as I'm concerned this is quite a key point, although I know
that Steve disagrees with me violently on this ;-)

In part it's an entirely selfish attitude in as much as that Adobe
show no signs of wanting to support flash on 64 bit linux which means
that I am left having to rely on the free players or struggling to
use the 32 bit flash plugin via a kludgy wrapper that barely works
at the best of times.

So this isn't, as far as I'm concerned, primarily about some sort of
ideological wish to use a free software solution, which is what Steve
often seems to think this about. It's because the proprietary vendor
has manifestly failed to provide for me, in the way which they often
do because they will always concentrate on majority platforms.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://www.compton.nu/