[OSM-dev] 0.6 api - same story

bvh bvh-osm at irule.be
Mon May 5 08:15:29 BST 2008

On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 11:04:03PM +0100, Tom Hughes wrote:
> > On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 09:27:42PM +0100, Tom Hughes wrote:
> > > We only decided to rev the API at the hack weekend yesterday.
> > Yes, that sums up the problem quite nicely.
> Forgive me if I'm being thick, but what exactly is your point?

My point is that if you are looking from the outside in, OSM is
seemingly not really interested in communication that encourages
casual development contribution.

First, the hack weekend could have been announced on dev. Second,
I don't think it would have been a stretch to post a heads up
again a few days before saying this is what we are likely going
to talk about. And last but not least, introducing a new API
should not be considered as a trivial change, even if you estimate
the changes 'are going to be only minimal'.

Look, you guys were all at the hack weekend and I don't blame you
for wanting to go forward. But from my POV, all I see is a threat
'better be ready before mid may or we slap a nice cute icon on your
software -does not work with 0.6 API-'. And without actually being
there, no way to assess if that is in any way realistic.

50% of the previous thread on the future of Potlatch was in essence
a lament on how difficult it is to build a community of
developers. It isn't difficult, only you guys are just not
putting the effort in to make it happen. And all the VC capital
in the world will not help that. Look at the difficulty even
established companies have creating a community. It is never about
(lack of money) but always about openess, inclusiveness and
communication. All it would have taken in this case was 3x5 minutes
for the necessary posts on dev@ to make us feel part of something
instead of a change that gets decided and dumped in half a month.
Bonus points for some people blogging during the hackweekend.
It's really that simple.

cu bart