[OSM-dev] 0.6 api - one more time

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon May 5 18:49:44 BST 2008

Hi,

> Currently, JOSM is not planned to be included in the next release
> (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=474632) for exactly
> this reason.

I have been approached by some Debian guys about the question whether
to include JOSM in their next stable release and I answered that given
the usual lifetime of Debian stable releases, I fully expect 2-3
incompatible API changes during that time and thus would not recommend
including JOSM.

And I don't think that's a bad thing really - every attempt at
backwards compatibility makes stuff less maintainable. You create
special cases that you'll end up supporting forever.

As long as we (as a project) are young and flexible enough, let's use
that to our advantage instead of being bogged down by more and more of
yesterday's technology.

> If my reading is correct, allowing backwards compatibility would be
> fairly easy, codewise. It would be my hope that this would allow for
> easier transitioning for things like JOSM-in-Debian: it would allow
> backported versions of JOSM to filter in and fill the need of allowing
> changesets without breaking the existing installed editor base.

Quite frankly, I have no interest whatsoever in an "installed editor
base" that is one year old. I expect to fix many many bugs and
implement many many new features within the next year, and it would be
utterly demotivating to think that there are people who choose not to
upgrade JOSM just because the year-old version is in their
distribution and the newer ones are not!

Bye
Frederik