[OSM-dev] 0.6 api - one more time

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon May 5 18:54:54 BST 2008

Hi,

>      That and the version number stuff I guess, but there you can apply
>      the same solution : just assume the correct one if none is provided.
>
>    +1
>
>    Unless someone thinks that 2,000 (guesstimate) JOSM users will all upgrade
>    simultaneously, then it would be unwise to just switch from 0.5 to 0.6
>    overnight.
>
>    It would be very prudent to support both versions of the API concurrently
>    for a period of, say, 3 or 4 months.  This gives everyone the time to
>    upgrade at their leisure with plenty of warning about the 0.5 drop dead
>    date.  It also gives time for any issues to be ironed out of the 0.6 API
>    without bringing the whole project to a grinding halt.

At least as far as JOSM is concerned, the required changes will be
rolled out within the next few days/weeks, and when the API switch is
done, everything that people will have to do is to set a preference
that specifies to use 0.6 protocol.

So at that front we wouldn't require the API to support 0.5 after the
switch.

But yes, of course it would be technically possible if it is
considered important enough to program the extra stuff and then throw
it away after four months. (crschmidt's suggestion was, however, not
aiming at a parallel operation of 3 or 4 months, but much longer.)

Bye
Frederik