[OSM-dev] 0.6

Brett Henderson brett at bretth.com
Wed May 7 02:06:21 BST 2008

Being fairly intimate with the issues involved in trying to split files
into bboxes and polygons I'd love to see a polygon concept.  Currently
it is almost impossible to split osm files into tiles suitable for
devices such as a garmin.  I've created a pgsql schema which will
provide the basis for splitting nodes and ways more effectively but
polygons are impossible without resorting to complex and constantly
changing tag analysis.  As for creating too many new osm types, I think
the advantages of this outweigh the bad.  We already have a node which
represents a single point, a way which represents a line, and a polygon
type would be a natural progression with another dimension added.
Unless we start modelling 3D objects we then have a complete set of
primitives for 2-dimensional modelling.

Just my 2 cents.

Brett