[OSM-dev] 0.6

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Wed May 7 10:24:33 BST 2008

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 10:44 AM, Brett Henderson <brett at bretth.com> wrote:
>  Actually my problem was much simpler.  I was just looking for a way of
>  taking a big bounding box (ie. a box around Australia) and splitting it
>  into smaller tiles (let's say 10km square for arguments sake).  The
>  problem you run into is that ways and polygons cross tiles so they have
>  to be split.  The problem in the current model is that you don't know if
>  a way is a simple line to be cut in half at the tile borders and a
>  synthetic node inserted or a polygon where the rules for splitting it
>  are more complicated.  If we had a polygon type this problem goes away
>  and I wouldn't have to look at tags at all, I'd just have to copy tags
>  across split ways and polygons.

The logic already exists in one place: osm2pgsql. One way to do it
would be to use osm2pgsql to push it into shapefiles, from there they
can be easily tiled.

Now, I won't say the logic in osm2pgsql is foolproof right now. I do
wish people/editors would add an area=yes tag to the non-obvious
cases. Just because the API doesn't understand the concept, there's no
reason why editors like JOSM and potlatch can't make the distinction.

Have a nice day,