[OSM-dev] Online/offline slippy map finished.

Fri May 9 12:01:29 BST 2008

Frustrated by the lack of a nice map viewing tool for my eee pc, I have
written my own hack. It's a local OpenLayers installation that is served
by a python script (stock python, no additional libs). If the tile does
not exist yet, it will be downloaded from the OSM tile server and be
stored locally, so those tiles will be available for offline viewing.
Tiles will be downloaded and stored in a directory called 'tiles' in the
pyweb directory. If anybody finds it useful that is cool, otherwise I
have just scratched my itch.

It's a total of 56 lines of code including the license... so go figure
how elaborate my error checking is. It works for me though...
Including a stock OpenLayers 2.6, the tar.bz2 is 128kb

How to install:
1) wget http://dev.openstreetmap.org/~spaetz/pymap.tar.bz2
2) tar xvjf pymap.tar.bz2

How to run: