[OSM-dev] Online/offline slippy map finished.

Karl Newman siliconfiend at gmail.com
Sat May 10 14:46:40 BST 2008

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 2:31 AM, Sebastian Spaeth <sebastian at sspaeth.de>
wrote:

> On Fri, 09 May 2008 17:22:23 +0100
> Jon Burgess <jburgess777 at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > If you want a tool to visualize GPX files and overlay with a variety
> > of map layers (including mapnik, osmarender or SRTM) then you could
> > try viking. You can choose what tiles to download or ask it to
> > download all tiles for a GPX trace. The tiles will be cached between
> > sessions. It uses GTK-2 and runs on at least Linux and Windows.
>
> That does sound useful, thanks I will have a look. Also I managed to
> compile Onion's "mapper" which is a fork of maemo-mapper and that seems
> also decent.
>
> Sebastian

I was just playing with viking the yesterday (got it to run on a different
windows computer) and discovered a very cool feature. If you right-click a
GPX layer there is an option "Upload to OSM". I haven't tried it yet, but
this is shaping up to be exactly the tool I need for managing my GPX
tracklogs (the osmarender/mapnik/maplint background maps are way cool).
After splitting the tracks and cutting out bad data I can just upload them
right away.

Karl