[OSM-dev] 0.6 api - one more time

Andreas Putzo andreas at putzo.net
Sat May 10 17:19:20 BST 2008

Hi,

On May 10  17:00, Stefan Keller wrote:
> > handled responsible in regard to the user base. I believe osm already
> > reached that point :)
> I'm sorry to state with emphasis, that the OSM concept and format did *not*
> reach stability yet:
> It's simply lacking one of three basic geometry types, namely 'area' (or
> polygon or how you name it)!

Ok. I know that the OSM concept is far away from beeing complete but
it's already in a very usuable state.

> On the other hand I agree with you that changing concepts and APIs should
> follow a more stable change process as we have discussed it in the initial
> thread about 0.6 API.

Sorry for resurrecting this thread but i only noticed it yesterday.
Following a more stable change process would indeed be great.
It's not only about users but also about developers who wants to write
applications that somehow use osm data. As i said, the project is
already in a state where it is widely known and the data is used/modified
by many users and developers on a regular base. That's why i think that
the time has come to handle changes more carefully when possible.
It was not my intention to blame people for yet again breaking the api,
in case somebody read it that way.

Regards,
Andreas