[OSM-dev] Bounds for Osmarender - 0.6?

Robert Funnell robert.funnell at mcgill.ca
Sun May 11 12:23:36 BST 2008

At http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Osmarender/Options#Bounds
it says 'It is hoped that the API and/or JOSM will implement the
<bounds> element to indicate the boundary of the data requested, since
some nodes will always be outside this.' Is this a candidate for 0.6?

If I understand the situation correctly, when one downloads data using
api/0.5/map?bbox= then all ways that occur within the requested bbox
are included in their entirety even when they extend beyond it, and
thus the final SVG map may cover a _much_ larger area than originally
requested. This could be fixed by having the API include the bounds
element in the returned XML. Would this be difficult to do?

I don't really understand the 'and/or JOSM' part.

I'm newish here and not (yet?) a developer. I hope this posting is
appropriate.

- Robert