[OSM-dev] Bounds for Osmarender - 0.6?

Robert Funnell robert.funnell at mcgill.ca
Sun May 11 13:36:46 BST 2008

On Sun, 11 May 2008, Cartinus wrote:

> On Sunday 11 May 2008 13:23:36 Robert Funnell wrote:
>> I don't really understand the 'and/or JOSM' part.
>
> If you download some data with JOSM and then save it as an .osm file, it has
> one or more elements like the one below at the top of the file.
>
>  <bound
> box='52.08475079143252,5.094459681354584,52.090622900019625,5.104450689617659'
> origin='http://www.openstreetmap.org/api/0.5' />

Thanks for mentioning this. I guess it's more or less equivalent to
the suggestion at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Osmarender/Howto#Download_the_data
that JOSM be used to determine the bbox coordinates for the download?

For those of us who use Potlatch rather than JOSM, it would be nice if
one could conveniently download and render without having to use JOSM
for something as seemingly minor as converting to and then enforcing
the bbox coordinates. In addition to adding the bounds element to the
download, perhaps the API could also handle download requests in the
centre+zoom format displayed when viewing the slippy map?

- Robert