[OSM-dev] Plan: Stop having amf_controller reproject

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Mon May 12 13:59:58 BST 2008

In message <20080512125500.GB31182 at metacarta.com>
        Christopher Schmidt <crschmidt at metacarta.com> wrote:

> Small things first, but yeah, that's my hope eventually: That I work on
> learning a bit more about amf_controller, and then through that, I
> understand enough abuot amf_controller and the rails code that I can
> migrate some of the Very Scary code away. A bunch of the code will need
> to be changed for api06: I think the right fix is to migrate the code to
> rails objects where possible, rather than simply updating the SQL :) So
> hopefully some of that can be done in trunk, and then there's less work
> to be done in the api06 branch.

Don't add any more SQL certainly... Well not unless you want Steve
coming after you with a team of highly trained ninja assassins anyway ;-)

As I said to Richard on IRC earlier on, a good initial goal would be
to get to the point where the AMF methods exactly mirror the methods
in the main API in terms of the arguments they take and the data they
return, so that the only difference is how the arguments and results
are encoded. That then allows all the code behind the methods to be shared.

That will probably mean adding a few new methods to the main API like
the full way PUT that I talked about, and probably some methods for
accessing historical views of the data.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)