[OSM-dev] Thanks

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Tue May 13 00:35:04 BST 2008

In message <20080512173859.Q46524-100000 at xs2.xs4all.nl>
          Stefan de Konink <skinkie at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On Mon, 12 May 2008, Frederik Ramm wrote:
>
> > If you're really adventurous then re-implement the whole server API in
> > C++ - it's not a big deal, you can leave the UI stuff in Rails, just get
> > the stuff from
>
> Is this an *open* thing? I'm serious.

Absolutely.

> I mean... if a random user would write something like the OSM API in a
> random database, that could seriously be evaluated?!

Well I don't know about a random database...

A rewrite of the API in a more efficient language using the existing
database would definitely be considered. Switching database is a more
complicated proposition because it would be much harder to evaluate
the likely performance in the live environment.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://www.compton.nu/