[OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] area topology

bvh bvh-osm at irule.be
Wed May 14 13:50:34 BST 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 02:43:19PM +0100, Andrew Chadwick (email lists) wrote:
> You _don't know_ where the edge of the rendered road will be but that
> it'll lie within a certain zone. Thus you infect the edge of the abutted
> area with that uncertainty, and for most buildings, fields, residential
> areas, or any other Area that doesn't make sense. It's abusing the fact

The uncertainty introduced by our GPS devices is probably an order
of magnitude bigger than the uncertainty on the width of a road,
I think your arguments are not holding up.

I'd advice to re-use the nodes for forest/grass/landuse and whatever
to express the fact that it runs right up to the road. For things
like buildings, I'd probably not reuse the nodes since there is
most of the time a clearly distinct zone between the building and
the road. For that zone (in campus's it's mostly grass) I'd reuse
both the nodes of the building and the road.

cu bart