[OSM-dev] 0.6: Attribute Naming, version on <nd>?

bvh bvh-osm at irule.be
Thu May 15 06:16:23 BST 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 08:21:45PM -0400, Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> There is one other new-style piece of information which is only
> applicable to changeset-uploading: the 'old id', the placeholder ID with
> which 'create' objects were uploaded. I think that 'old_id' is
> appropriate for this.

Thinking this over, I don't think resending the full objects is
the right response for a diff upload. The editor is only interested
in the newly attributed ids anyhow, so send only that mapping. This is
symmetrical to creating a single object where the api also
responds with a single number and not with a full object with
old_id.

> Response:
>
> <osmChange version="0.6" changeset="37">
>   <create>
>     <node id="124" old_id="-1" version="1" lat="12" lon="34" />
>   </create>
>   <modify>
>     <way id="7" version="9">
>       <nd ref="124" />
>       <nd ref="23" />
>       <nd ref="123" />
>     </way>
>   </modify>
> </osmChange>

My proposal for a osmChange reply would just be
-1=124,-2=36,-3=90
If you really must you can wrap this response in xml but I
don't see the added value. You could even go further and send
only the newids as a comma seperated list (but in the same
order as the creates happened in the diff). This has
the advantage that the response for a diff upload that
creates one object is identical to the response for a create
call of a single object.

cu bart