[OSM-dev] 0.6 API clarifications and corrections

bvh bvh-osm at irule.be
Thu May 15 11:30:10 BST 2008

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 01:26:56PM +0200, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> The most usable type of response for the user would certainly be:
>
> "As a result of this changeset, Object X was changed from state A to
> state B".
>
> As a user, I am not interested in the 318 intermediate editing steps;
> I want to know the before and after versions of the object.

For a user this is a moot point, he or she is never going to
interact using version numbers directly. The client should
present him/her the _state_ of the object.

> So if someone requests a list of all changes for one changeset, my
> suggestion would be to return:
>
> * exactly two versions of each object changed in that changeset
> ("before" and "after")
> * only the "before" version for deleted objects
> * only the "after" version for created objects
>
> If an object is created and deleted within the same change set, do
> not return anything at all.

I think it is the client who should filter what to present to the
user. The response of the database should be as complete as possible,
including sending intermediate states.

cu bart