[OSM-dev] C++ implementation of the API

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri May 23 16:54:18 BST 2008

Hi,

> Writing Apache modules in C is hard

I don't think so.

> and I don't think using mod_cpp
> will make it much easier. Doing Apache modules in Perl (mod_perl has API
> access including filters) is a lot easier.

I don't know what the English would us in this situation but you might
be familiar with the German saying "den Teufel mit dem Beelzebub
austreiben" ;-) if we really ditch one scripting language, or "dynamic
programming language" as some may have it, for lack of performance then
please let's not introduce another one through the back door.

I'm a frequent user of Perl and it has lots of merits, but I wouldn't
want to base a high-performance module on it that reads data from Mysql
and shifts it over to Apache. I haven't done the numbers on that but my
gut feeling is that you'll be copying the data around a few times more
in that scenario...

Bye
Frederik