[OSM-dev] C++ implementation of the API

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon May 26 20:57:26 BST 2008

Hi,

> If _that_ amount of memory is needed this probably means the XML is
> build in memory. This could be done the SAX way instead.

Looking at the code, which is publicly available, would quickly have
told you that neither a DOM tree nor a SAX approach is used on output.
It's plain old DIY XML.

The memory requirement stems from the fact (I believe TomH has said it
already) that we create one million bloated Rails objects for all the
nodes in the query and keep them all in memory while we assemble ways
and relations.

I know you're just trying to be helpful but you could be even *more*
helpful by actually looking at the code before making guesses about
what it does and doesn't do, then implement an improvement and report
back with results. People will love you ;-)

Bye
Frederik