[OSM-dev] Ways with 40k nodes, was: osmosis pgsql schema

Stefan de Konink stefan at konink.de
Sun Nov 2 13:17:09 GMT 2008

On Sun, 2 Nov 2008, Maarten Deen wrote:

> I've just had the tiles at home client crash on me because of a way of some 4700
> nodes (which wasn't even in the tile itself). Memory consumption went up to 1GB
> for inkscape and then crash. So I split the way up in maximum 1000 nodes and
> memoryuse was no more than 300MB. Seems to be a quite linear relation between
> number of nodes and Inkscape memory usage.

I guess you don't want to make a relation between your XSLT processor and
memory usage? That Inkscape is not optimal for big documents was clear all
along. I still think it would be interesting if you could try the same
(think still not using SVG) in Xara.

Next to this; you could also solve the problem by not feeding Inkscape
such big documents, instead try to feed inscape dynamically smaller
chunks.

Stefan