[OSM-dev] Best way to validate user input

Ben Supnik bsupnik at xsquawkbox.net
Sun Nov 2 13:38:45 GMT 2008

Hi,

We have other nav data - contributing it to OSM...hrm.

http://x-plane.org/home/robinp/FileDef.htm

My immediate concern would be: the data is all GPL last I checked.
Now..I have no idea what it MEANS when you have GPL on a non-code work
(which I think is the main reason why GPL != CC-BY-SA) but now I am
rapidly spiraling into osm-legal territory.  Bottom line is you'd have
to work out licensing.  The data is a combination of imports and
processing by Robin Peel (who runs the data) and a bunch of user
contributions).

Now I can talk a little bit more about suitability...

- Some of the data you might get (e.g. airways) are very large in
physical size (but small in node count).  While I point to a "sectional
map" as a mapping use of OSM, the truth is that X-Plane's OSM needs are
very much tied to the "ground" map because that's what we visualize.

- Most of the data represents individual "features" in the real world
fairly well, e.g. a VOR transmitter is represented by the lat/lon
location of the antenna, more or less.  But airports are a little bit
tricky - we have always supported (1) the overlapping of taxiway
polygons and (2) no metadata on those polygons.

So you could use user contributed apt.dat layouts to draw a potentially
very accurate image of the "ground footprint" of the airport, but you
would not be able to apply meta data like "that area of pavement is
taxiway B".

In fact, that meta data problem is very difficult because often the
taxiways are just names and lines painted on a huge monolithic paved
area.  The newest apt.dat 850 format solves this at a very low level, by
giving authors control over signs, lines, and pavement, rather than
providing premade primitives.  We did this because there is just so much
real-world variability to markings.

(We still use high level primitives for runways, that is, one runway
makes all its lights, signs, pavement, and lines.)

cheers
ben

Scenery Home Page: http://scenery.x-plane.com/
Scenery blog: http://xplanescenery.blogspot.com/