[OSM-dev] arbitrariness of relations [was: HEADS UP osmosis pgsql schema users]

Hakan Tandogan hakan at gurkensalat.com
Tue Nov 4 16:25:34 GMT 2008

On Tue, November 4, 2008 16:58, Roland Olbricht wrote:
> In particular, I'm wondering how I should encode the
> coastline-boundary-12-nm-data. As the upload of a lot of ways over the api
>  will take a lot of time, I would like to avoid doing it twice.
> Currently, the
> multipolygon-relation, although rarely used, looks best to me but I'm
> still unsure.

The Boundaries relation (
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Relations/Proposed/Boundaries )
seems to be the ideal solution. At least, you can differentiate the
borders from lakes with islands by looking at the "type" of the relation
:-)

> So where do I find the consensus whether this is a good idea or not? I'm
> grateful for any comments.

Do it the OSM way, just use the relation :-)

Regards,
Hakan

--
The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering...