[OSM-dev] The wiki defines the database (was: relations)

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 4 20:56:51 GMT 2008

Richard Fairhurst schrieb:
> Erik Johansson wrote:
>
>> This is a really naive and contraproductive argument, nothing is black
>> and white.  You have to define what it is you are mapping, and you
>> don't do that in the database.
>
> Yeah, but therein lies the problem.
>
> The people doing the "defining" are, in many cases, not the ones who
> are doing the mapping. There are plenty of people voting on things
> just because they like voting.
>
> If people refrained from discussing and voting unless they had
> _personally_ come up against the problem that the proposal was aiming
> to solve, I think the process would have a lot more respect.

Hmmmm,

How do you know, that: "The people doing the "defining" are, in many
cases, not the ones who are doing the mapping" ?!?

BTW: It's simply a misconception that the voting process necessarily
needs that all people involved to be experts of the topic. If the
proposal is well prepared and discussed even by a very small number of
people knowing what they are talking about, you will - even as an
"outsider" - get a good idea if the feature is a good thing or not.

Regards, ULFL