[OSM-dev] Relation bounding boxes

Matt Amos zerebubuth at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 19:22:17 GMT 2008

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 10:20 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
> Matt Amos wrote:
>>
>> what is the bounding box of a relation?
>
> I like your idea 1 best:

awesome, although that is the most complicated method :-)

its implemented in the code now and there are some functional tests,
so we're on our way to being able to implement a sensible
bbox/time/user query on changesets.

> I suggest that we make it possible for the client to *extend* (not reduce!)
> the bounding box, perhaps through a POST request to the changeset object. If
> we have that functionality and if we should ever encounter relation types
> where the above is true, then a well-behaved editor could use this method to
> increase the bbox in that special case.

also done: api/0.6/changeset/#id/include takes a sort-of osm document
and inserts all the nodes into the bounding box. the bounding box will
expand (but not reduce!) as necessary to include these points. also,
the bounding box only expands as necessary and does not over-expand in
the way that it does when node/way/relation elements are modified. i
have assumed that the client knows what it is doing ;-)

cheers,

matt