[OSM-dev] XML Schema

Florian Lohoff flo at rfc822.org
Sat Nov 8 14:31:56 GMT 2008

On Sat, Nov 08, 2008 at 02:38:23PM +0100, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> None that I am aware of. Frankly, I'm not even sad about this, I believe
>   any kind of server-side validation would be
>
> * a lot of work to implement
> * slowing down API requests
> * hard to maintain
>
> while any kind of client-side validation would just lead to "hey, the
> server issues invalid XML!" - "then fix your definition of 'invalid'".
>
> But you're welcome to support patches to the rails API and the clients
> and promise to keep them up to date ;-)

I dont think anyone expects every reponse of the server to be validated.
But people start writing their own manipulation, retrieval, server programs
and from my own experiences its sometimes hard to tell whether this
specific XML i created is still within the expected boundary. So I am in
favour of a possibility to validate xml output from time to time
against a DTD - I have no problems if the DTD is a moving target and
people get told something changed. But currently there is nothing to
check against (except loading into josm and trying to interpret the
error message). But what about the change files?

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                  flo at rfc822.org             +49-171-2280134
	Those who would give up a little freedom to get a little