[OSM-dev] Mapnik's speed rendering slow ?

sylvain letuffe liste at letuffe.org
Sat Nov 8 17:22:37 GMT 2008

> 0.5s per tile looks about right. The main tile server does not manage
> to render all z18 tiles in 24 hours.
Glups then...

(...)
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Mod_tile

Thanks all for the link, I already had a look at mod_tile and I first thought
it wouldn't fit my needs and then be a second choice.

I'm willing to (did I say dreaming ?)
1) have a max older tile of 24h
2) don't kill my server under load
3) have a fast responsive Openlayer (which I have with all tiles generated)

mod_tile seams to me not beeing able to cover 3 (unless someone got the pain
to explore the same place before you, or unless we drop under ~0.02s per
tiles, in wich case I'll stop bothering with caching tiles and have them
rendered real-time )

2->, as of the readme, is not completly sure, unless some users are kicked
off. because If simultaneously, 20 users are exploring a "new" region
somewhere in mountain, the 0.5s/tile will soon transforms into much higher,
transforming mapnik into unusable

Sounds like a corner case right ?

So, staying for now with my idea, is there some mecanism implemented (or to be
implemented) in mapnik to :
- When a tile is empty, not try to generate it (use a defined png model
instead), and not try to generate any other tiles included in zoom greater
than it
- On each postgres "osm data update" ( with some kind of last-modified flag ?)
use them to render only last modified zones, wich, to my point of vew seams
to be much less numerous that vews
?

Sylvain Letuffe liste at letuffe.org
qui suis-je : http://slyserv.dyndns.org