[OSM-dev] Internal server error on relation member without role

Shaun McDonald shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk
Mon Nov 17 19:42:18 GMT 2008

According to the database, a relation requires a role, which may be
empty, but not null.

Due to the way that the XML parsing is done, if no role attribute is
supplied in the xml, then it will fail. Supplying role="" is what you
are required to do.

If you can supply more detailed examples of where you are having
problems, it will be easier to help you debug the problem. It could
just be a problem of the rails daemon dying with your request going
with it. JOSM does have an automatic retry system.

Shaun