[OSM-dev] Lean and mean Tile- and XML-API-Server

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Fri Nov 21 16:49:48 GMT 2008

2008/11/21 Stefan de Konink <stefan at konink.de>:
> Dave Stubbs wrote:
>>
>> Meh, "proper" languages are often over rated. Machines are cheap,
>> developers are expensive, and code lives far longer than most people
>> hope.
>
> Who is paying for new machines in OSM? And who is getting paid for writing
> code?

1) The OSMF through donations and membership, other random donations etc.
2) Nobody (not by OSM(F) at any rate), so that means we're limited by
how much time people are willing to provide for free (either companies
or individuals).

And besides which it was a general statement in response to your
general statement about languages. Any applicability to OSM in
particular is a fairly complex question which is, unsurprisingly,
going to result in compromises.

>> Which leaves the important question: does it matter for OSM?
>> (and is a full rewrite the best way of fixing it if it does)
>
> As long it is slow, and someone is stupid enough to try and fix it, it
> matters :)

Sure, except that the code, once written, doesn't just sit there.
People have to maintain this stuff. It's not just about, "can it be
written?", it's "can it be written and maintained?".

So I think a better reply (well, maybe just more complete) is that as
long as it is slow, and someone is stupid enough to try and fix it,
and they can convince the guys who are going to end up responsible for
deploying and maintaining it, it matters.

Sometimes speed becomes important and it makes sense to replace
certain parts of the system, ie: the GPX importer which has already
been down this path.

Dave