[OSM-dev] Lean and mean Tile- and XML-API-Server

Matt Amos zerebubuth at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 17:39:32 GMT 2008

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 4:37 PM, Stefan de Konink <stefan at konink.de> wrote:
> Matt Amos wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 3:42 PM, Dave Stubbs <osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk>
>> wrote:

>> i'd have said the same thing about javascript a couple of years ago.
>
> Yes this is *exactly* my point. Python/Ruby are great high level languages.
> But until there is any real progress in getting them to work at native
> speeds (or at least in the python case, better speeds are possible) it is
> not an alternative for HP applications, while for HA it can be a choice
> because of the design.

people are making progress.

http://antoniocangiano.com/2008/05/31/maglev-rocks/
http://blog.fallingsnow.net/2008/09/05/rubinius-status/

for high performance it may be worth porting some bits to lower-level
languages (e.g: the map call). but some people at the api 0.6 hack
weekend had some ideas for improving performance while staying within
RoR.

> Faster is overrated; hence we are looking here at I/O and scheduling
> bottlenecks. Not even a Pentium X is going to get more speed out of a sata
> harddisk.

install a raid array? ;-)

at what point do you decide that your code is "fast enough"?

cheers,

matt