[OSM-dev] OSMXAPI to be ported? (Was Re: Lean and mean Tile- and XML-API-Server)

Stefan de Konink stefan at konink.de
Sun Nov 23 01:08:00 GMT 2008

Simon Ward wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 10:49:03PM +0100, Stefan de Konink wrote:
>> It is extremely tight to the webserver :) It is a native plugin
>> implementation directly incorporated with the webserver that pools
>> database connections. (And uses it string management.)
>
> Could it be written as an Apache module, or, even more portably, a
> FastCGI application?  Both methods would allow you to pool database
> connections, but I don’t know what other advantages the tight
> integration with Cherokee has.

Cherokee is currently the *fastest* webserver out there, with respect to
serving of static files, the close integration just reduces overhead and
allows easy packaging as LiveCD. And I'm trying to get a tileserver on
top of it, with also a 'native' handler_tile.

http://www.cherokee-project.com/benchmarks.html

So obviously I don't see any reason why I should port an application to
an inferior platform (apache) or add extra middleware layers (fastcgi)
if that is exactly what I wanted to avoid from the beginning.

I'm happy more people interest in this (how are the mod_osm guys that
were writing a C++ API?), over a Ruby implementation :) But I don't see
why people want to make a HP/HA application portable... I cannot see a
reason ;) Just run this thing on another http-port the overhead of
Cherokee is less than 8MB!

Stefan