[OSM-dev] Some statistics for file-format -development

Marcus Wolschon Marcus at wolschon.biz
Tue Nov 25 07:47:16 GMT 2008

2008/11/24 Sascha Silbe <sascha-ml-gis-osm-dev at silbe.org>:
> On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 12:59:18PM +0100, Marcus Wolschon wrote:
>
>> Both have 2GB of Ram and both run Windows XP.
>> But one is an Atom N270 -processor and one a
>> desktop Core2.
>
> Ah, all right. Unfortunately, none of datasheets [1,2] at Intel mentions the
> size of the virtual address space. I'd have expected it to be the same for
> all IA32 systems then... :-/

Okay, on a big AMD-multicore-laptop the limit in Java seems to be
1GB of memory-mapped files.
Ulimit was "unlimited" and --XX:MaxDirectMemorySize was set to 32GB
-Xmx was a few GB. I am using the current Java6 -patchlevel 10 from
Sun.

Strange thing is: Setting MaxDirectMemorySize to 3GB you can't start
because some Swing-Code in font-loading can't memory-map the few
kilobytes it needs.  If I set no limit, it works but failes once the file-size
goes over 1GB.

I'd like to try this on a 64bit-Linux on that box but don't know how to
do that yet. Any help on turning a debian 32bit into a 64-bit or running
a 64bit-VM in a 32bit-Linux?

Marcus