[OSM-dev] Data corruption :) II

Stefan de Konink stefan at konink.de
Wed Nov 26 11:59:01 GMT 2008

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> Stefan de Konink wrote:
> > Then let me even get a better proposal; A second machines will be
> > installed that has enforced foreign keys.
>
> Another proposal from cloud-cuckoo-land. Enforced foreign keys means a
> full switch to InnoDB tables (or another RDMS altogether), something
> we're planning for 0.6 but sure as hell don't have the manpower to do
> along the side. Same for the second machine.

Might be interesting to ask other people to give an extra hand? Because it
seems that the OSM Foundation currently has a big surplus of $/E/L thanks
to the last SOTM, that must be sufficient to buy a new machine for 0.6 and
intermediately for a machine that can serve a consistent planet. I think
our big leaders can justify that cost for their core business. Otherwise
accepting the sponsorship that was offered over hardware and hosting
abroad... (that is on our side of the water Frederik)

> Tell you what - you simply do something else for a few months and
> everything will be cool when you return. No need to get all upset about
> the current state of affairs and devise workarounds that will cost
> *everybody* their precious time when the solution is just around the corner.

Nah ;) Wouldn't that be stupid, you never know what happens... their might
be a big fight over 0.6 again and it is postponed till forever. I don't
want to miss that party ;)

Stefan