[OSM-dev] Correct place to submit patches?

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 17:55:35 GMT 2008

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 5:22 PM, Bradley Kite <bradley.kite at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to this mailing list and to OSM in general so would like to
> introduce myself first.
>
> I am Bradley Kite, and have an interest in getting Mapnik/OSM running
> on the Android mobile platform: http://code.google.com/p/osmdroid/
>
> Currently, the software downloads map tiles on demand (and caches them
> locally), but I have been working on having a map-tile renderer work
> on the phone itself, from a database on the phone's SD card (so that
> map-tiles can be provided in the absence of phone signal).
>
> To this aim, I have mostly ported mapnik to Java (its not complete
> yet, but not far from it)
> (http://code.google.com/p/osmdroid/source/browse/#svn/branches/osm-contributor)
> and have patched osm2pgsql so that it can output to an sqlite database
> instead of postgres (sqlite libraries etc. come with the phone's
> software stack).
>
> I'd like to submit this patch back so that it could be included in
> future versions of osm2pgqsl - so that others can build sqlite
> databases of their local countries that can work on the phone.

Posting patches to the list is fine, albeit uncommon in OSM. Adding
patches to a suitable trac ticket ( http://trac.openstreetmap.org ) is
probably better, or if you've got bigger plans just ask for an SVN
account (ask on IRC) and do the work directly. We're pretty liberal
about svn access and people helping out.

Cheers,
Andy