[OSM-dev] Datacorruption Part IV; where way members are not in the planet

Brett Henderson brett at bretth.com
Fri Nov 28 01:05:54 GMT 2008

Lennard wrote:
> Frederik Ramm wrote:
>
>> The problem is not that big because, as has been pointed out already,
>> you can always "upgrade" a planet file to be consistent by applying the
>> matching daily diff.
>>

> Can this not be done automatically by the create-weekly-planet script,
> so the published weekly planet dump is consistent to begin with?

Yes, I think it could.

Until a few weeks ago, osmosis wasn't including user id information in
the files it produced.  This has been added so both the planet dump
process and osmosis should produce identical information.

There are a few reasons why I haven't pushed this approach.  It has
taken time to gain confidence that the changeset process is working
reliably but it is looking pretty solid these days.  Also with the
current db implementation there could be some misalignment due to
history and current tables containing different data.  I'm not familiar
with the scripts producing the planet so there could be more to it than
I realise.

I'd tend to hang off until 0.6 is done where we have cleaner data and
tighter database constraints.  That would be a good time to introduce this.