[OSM-dev] Slow Osmosis

Brett Henderson brett at bretth.com
Sun Nov 30 00:13:28 GMT 2008

Stefan de Konink wrote:
> Brett Henderson wrote:
>> If somebody can prove with real numbers on very large files that LOAD
>> DATA INFILE is much faster than the current osmosis approach of doing
>> normal inserts (ie. not just a few per cent) I'll add it to osmosis.
>> I just haven't done so because my efforts have been focused elsewhere.
>
> Oki Brett, if we make the benchmark it would basically make your tool
> obsolete for the full insert ;) But I'm to provide a CVS file for the
> MySQL schema so that some people can eat their heart out.
Only if people are happy to download a separate tool for every
individual purpose.  The advantage of osmosis is that it combines lots
of operations into a single tool.  I haven't invented much new
functionality, simply looked at what a bunch of individual scripts have
done and made them easier to access.

Quite seriously, if you can write a tool that is more than 20% faster
than osmosis then by all means go for it.  If it suits people's needs
I'll eventually roll similar functionality into osmosis.

Of course I'd be far happier if you could send me a patch to improve
osmosis functionality but that's your choice.