[OSM-dev] Auto closing of changesets in API 0.6

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Oct 3 15:54:27 BST 2008

(forgot to reply to list)

Hi,

Shaun McDonald wrote:
> Should changesets automatically be closed after a period of time? If so
> how long?

I thought that when a changeset is created and whenever something is
added, the expiration date is set to "now + 30 minutes". A changeset
whose expiration date is in the past is considered closed. That would
have the advantage of not having to run a cleanup job.

(On second reading, I thing the idea was a little bit cleverer: If you
add something to a changeset *and* the expiration date is within the
next 30 minutes, add 60 minutes. This would mean less updates to the
changeset table.)

> Are changesets useful if they are never closed, or empty?

With that logic, a never-closed changeset would not happen (unless
someone tries really hard!). An empty changeset is useless I believe.

> Should there be a way for an application to be able to query and check
> to see if it has an open changeset to use, thus preventing open changesets?

It would be good style for an application to remember any changesets it
has opened and try to re-use them; however if it crashes and loses track
of a changeset that would not hurt since the changeset would
automatically "expire".

Bye
Frederik