[OSM-dev] Auto closing of changesets in API 0.6

Matt Amos zerebubuth at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 16:48:52 BST 2008

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 4:23 PM, 80n <80n80n at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 3:54 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
>> Shaun McDonald wrote:
>> > Should changesets automatically be closed after a period of time? If so
>> > how long?
>
> Why does a changeset need to even have an open/closed state?  Its just a
> unique identifier for a set of changes.

and a more efficient way of storing user info and created_by tags ;-)

>> > Are changesets useful if they are never closed, or empty?
>>
>> With that logic, a never-closed changeset would not happen (unless
>> someone tries really hard!). An empty changeset is useless I believe.

i can see several cases where open-ended changesets would be useful.
e.g: if i have a lot of tracks/pictures it may take several days to
input and upload, but they're still part of the same logical set.

also, we might like to use changesets for categorisation of edits,
like flickr tags.

since changesets are not atomic, nor can they be automatically
reverted, is it useful to be able to close changesets?