[OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] map display www.openstreetmap.org

Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw at lug-owl.de
Wed Oct 8 17:04:52 BST 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-08 10:46:28 -0500, Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 10:35 AM, Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw at lug-owl.de>wrote:
> > > Adding them is trivial, but it hasn't been done because the
> > > benefit is minimal compared to the downside of having yet more
> > > stuff obscuring the map.
> >
> > Nonetheless I'd like to get it added, too.
>
> Is there a reason you can't use informationfreeway.org to get the
> lat/lon data?

No, there's no specific reason.  I even advertised
informationfreeway.org to some beginners, but "there's another service
that might help you" isn't, IMHO, always a good excuse. Other than
that, informationfreeway.org doesn't have some way to search for a
specific place. Sure, you *should* have some kind of knowledge where
you are or what you're searching, but that's actually not always
given. (Esp. if you're searching for something in a foreign country.)

> I agree with Tom, the main openstreetmap.org map should be the bare
> minimum example of what the data looks like.

Would be nice to have lon/lat display activated as a feature, eg.
somewhere near the (or inside?) the layer list?

MfG, JBG

--
      Jan-Benedict Glaw      jbglaw at lug-owl.de              +49-172-7608481
 Signature of:                    Arroganz verkürzt fruchtlose Gespräche.