[OSM-dev] What country is something in?

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Fri Oct 10 18:03:29 BST 2008

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 5:38 PM, Stefan de Konink <stefan at konink.de> wrote:

> Roland Olbricht schreef:
>> is anybody working currently on the "What country is something in?" issue from
>> the Things-to-do-page? I would like to work on it, but I want to avoid doing
>> work twice.
>
> Isn't that a trivial thing using PostGIS?

If you have good country borders organised into nice polygons then
yes, it's not that hard. I've done tests using vmap0 borders and it
works quite well (they're just not very high res).

The OSM borders aren't always that great though, and they're not
single ways, so it would need something like the coastline checker to
pull the data out and join it up in a nice way.

Dave