[OSM-dev] What should the changeset api do?

Matt Amos zerebubuth at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 01:14:02 BST 2008

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 8:11 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
> Idea was to increase the bbox
> by a generous amount each time it has to be increased so that we don't
> have a write to the changeset table for each and every edit; too large
> bbox is not a big problem.

as a later optimisation we can always contract the bbox when the
changeset is marked closed.

> Then there's the question of reading a full changeset (i.e. with changed
> objects) - should we have a call that gives you the before and after
> state of each object? Would be very usable for change monitoring I guess.

it would be nice to have a call on a changeset which returns a
reversible diff. is it worth thinking about extending osmchange format
so that modify elements contain both before and after elements?

> I'm not sure about the reverse lookup we need or do not need - how can I
> find out which changesets have affected Way #1234? Will this be
> contained in /api/0.6/way/1234/history? Or a new
> /api/0.6/way/1234/changesets?

all elements in the history should have a changeset_id attribute, right?

cheers,

matt